Saturday, February 11, 2012

Can I Use Blogs with My 2nd Graders?

Well… I really do not know the answer to my own question. Until I signed up for this class, I did not even think about blogging, let alone using it for my class. While reading chapters 1-3 in Richardson's Blogs, Wikis, and Podcasts (2010), I started to realize what a great tool “blog” can be in an educational setting. I started to see how the children who are so used to getting things “right now” will benefit from having blogs to communicate with their teachers.
Now that I see how beneficial blogs can be in a classroom, I am having hard time figuring out how I can do that in my second grade classroom. I have been searching web for answers and I found many educational blogs that are geared towards older students, blogs that are helpful/useful for teachers, and I even found blogs that are geared towards younger kids. The more I read, the more I see the world of endless possibilities; however, I don’t know how to implement it. Some of my students don’t even have an access to internet and they will need some accommodations. At first I was worried about the ones who are not great at writing/typing, but if they can produce a research paper, I think they can share their thoughts in a sentence.
I was thinking of questions that I can post for the students to discuss and I definitely want those questions to be meaningful experience for my students. “Checking for understanding” type of questions would be one way to start them blogging, but what else?
Do you have any other ideas, questions, discussions points that I can use in a blog with my second graders?     

7 comments:

  1. Lilit,

    I struggle with the same question as a first grade teacher. I think it's unfair to ask children to blog from home if they don't have access to a computer at home, but if you can get computer lab time, I like the idea of blogging in response to text. It could be a class discussion in the computer lab. A few things would go along with this, though. The students would have to be able to read others' posts independently too.

    In first grade, we observe the stages of a ladybug life cycle. Doesn't second grade observe stages of a butterfly life cycle? (They do in my school system.) The students could post their observations each day!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that's a great idea. Our butterfly unit is coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I think about, the more willing I am to try out blogging in my classroom. I think even simple prompts like tell about a great book you're reading is a good way to get kids talking online. If/when I try this, I will post a question on Monday and give the kids all week to respond. For kids who don't have a computer at home, I will give them class time during independent/center work to write something. Keeping the questions open-ended is important to ensure a variety of different answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids with no access to computers are the ones who require extra help at all they do. They are the ones who are often pulled for ESOL and other help; even though I modify their work to accommodate their schedule, they are the ones who are always trying to catch up and get on the same page with the others. Adding something else on the top of all they have to do while they are at school will put more pressure on them. I am sure the kids will enjoy computer time, but the rest of the class can blog at their leisure without extra strains attached. I am not trying to dismiss the importance of introducing them to blogging; however, do they need to have yet another thing placed on their plate?

    Lilit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For students who need that extra support, assign them a 'blogging buddy'. Have them come up with the statement, and have their buddy type/post it. Our just have all students paired up, and you can scaffold students that way. Each pair could create a statement per week, taking the stress off of independent work. Just my thoughts!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of "blogging buddies" --a nice take off on the Reading Buddies ideas. Do any of you have older classes that you could pair up with (e.g. fifth or sixth graders as the buddies)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of "blogging buddies" too, which I will have to use. I would have loved to buddy them up with 4th or 5th graders, but it would not be possible. The only time I have with my kids is the reading block which is in the morning. The rest of the school has the mornings designated for math and as you all know - math is sacred in MC and no one can interrupt it :).

    ReplyDelete